The SAMHSA working definition of recovery is “A process of change through which individuals improve their health and wellness, live a self-directed life, and strive to reach their full potential.” Everyone in the world is recovering some something if they choose to be, and I strongly believe that everyone should be!! As I have said time and time again, even if it’s not a drug addiction or alcoholism you may have a different way of distracting yourself from being completely honest and living your best life. AND YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE! So, in honor of and as my official kickoff to Recovery Month, I am posting a list of some of the primary things recovery means to me and a recovery coach.
1. Not blaming others for circumstances in my life.
2. Being 100% available physically and emotionally for the people I love.
3. Alleviating chaos in my life.
4. Losing my keys 80% less frequently than I did before.
5. Consistently working on being a better human being.
6. Realizing that 99% of what others think of me is none of my business.
7. Eliminating the outer reach for inner peace.
8. Working to be in the present moment because it’s all there is.
9. Practicing (and yes it takes a hell of a lot of practice) self-love.
10. Approaching myself and the world with open mindedness and compassion.
11. Having a (no longer chemically fueled) blast.
12. Laughing and smiling as frequently as possible.
about the master coach
Danielle, the Founder & Master Coach of RealYou Revolution, is a woman in long term recovery with a passion for helping others overcome their own personal demons – whatever they may be.